Examensarbeten för masterexamen
Länka till denna samling:
- PostRecycling of glass wool waste by geopolymerization(2022) Von, Jennifer; Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Tang, Luping; Baba Ahmadi, ArezouThe master thesis project is in collaboration with Saint-Gobain Ecophon. This project is in relation to the WOOL2LOOP project (part of the EU Horizon 2020) with the aim of minimizing mineral wool waste by incorporating it into novel and existing products. This master thesis examines the possibilities of using glass wool waste as the main precursor to produce cementitious materials. Different mix compositions including different glass wool contents and the addition of two types of slag from steel industries were investigated. Process parameters including curing temperature and curing time have been studied to reduce future manufacturing costs. Precursor and additional slag were mixed with water glass and cured in an oven and/or at the room temperature. The cementitious materials’ performance was evaluated by measuring the compressive strength after 7 and 28 days. The phase compositions were analyzed using XRD (X-ray diffraction) and TGA (Thermogravimetric analysis) respectively to better understand the mechanical strength. The results show that glass wool, in combination with other additives, is a promising precursor for manufacturing cementitious materials. N-A-S-H and C-(N)-A-S-H have been observed in certain compositions which explains the lower strength. The materials formed through the use of lower processing temperatures have displayed good strength development with time, and a curing time of 24 h has shown high strength. Although, a curing time of 4 h has resulted in comparable strength. Further, high strength has also been achieved by curing at the room temperature.
- PostRisk analysis of climate change impacts on the quantitative drinking water supply(2023) Starcevic, Ivan; Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Pettersson, ThomasAs the construction, maintenance and expansion of water supply systems require considerable investments and their operational flexibility is only given to a certain degree, special attention should be paid to ensure that the system components are designed for a long service life so that the future water demand can be met. For this purpose, future water supply parameters, for instance, the daily peak demand and various other factors must be determined. In past decades, when determining supply parameters little to no consideration was given to the negative impacts of climate change on the supply situation. As a result, past heat summers, such as those in 2018 or 2022, have pushed water supplies to their limits in much of Germany. Therefore, in the context of this thesis, a risk analysis is conducted with the aim of determining the future water demand in Southern Germany. In order to achieve this, a surrogate model that is based on a machine learning approach and operates on the basis of Gaussian process regression is applied. The results generated in this process are used to set up an early warning system, which can be used by the water utility companies of the study area to determine their future water balance and to assess whether the water resources at their disposal will be sufficient to provide the necessary future water demand. Furthermore, the early warning system can be used to investigate the effect of planned countermeasures. In addition to the early warning system, a catalog of measures was compiled, which should serve as a guide in the successful adaptation of water supply systems to the negative effects of climate change.
- PostClosing the loop: exploring circular business models for kitchen household appliances(2023) Delli Baskaran, Nisha; Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Femenias, PaulaReplacing household appliances very often results in wastage of raw materials and natural resources involved. Circular economy could be a great solution to minimize such wastage in household industry and there are more ways to implement it. Interestingly, the recently trending product service systems seems like a promising enabler of circular economy by enabling multiple users to utilize the complete lifecycle of the product through reuse, refurbishment, remanufacturing and recycling. Although, circular economy is most extensively researched domain, practical aspects are neglected. Hence, this thesis aims to bridge the research gap by exploring and designing a suitable circular business model for the focal company in order to close the loop. Further, it explores new B2B and B2C customer segments for focal company to enable such business model which extends the market share of the organization as well. The research was initiated by doing a literature study on circular economy business models which highlighted servitization to be a successful enabler of circular economy. Later, an interview study was conducted to provide qualitative data for the research which helped in exploring various dimensions like possibilities, benefits and challenges associated with developing a servitized circular economy business model. Based on the empirical findings and emanated results, three preliminary subscription models were developed for three identified customer segments in order to slow down the resource loop. Later, a workshop was conducted to gain expert opinions on the developed preliminary models which necessitated customization and hence scenario analysis was conducted for focal B2B customer segments. For further validation on profitability aspect, an economic analysis is done. These lay the groundwork for the upcoming discussion which probe deeper into the various aspects of the proposed business model. In the conclusion, this thesis successfully developed a new business model for the focal company to keep their first big step towards the path of circular economy. The below mentioned parameters were used as keywords to shortlist literatures and also, the interview questions were framed by keeping these parameters as a base.
- PostQualities of balconies: oppertunities of extension and design charactheristics(2023) Svensson, Axel; Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Braide, Anna; Granath, KajUrbanization has embossed the past few centuries and will likely continue to do so. An increased population within the cities and a focus on exploitations within architecture will lead to a more densified urban environment. Therefore, outdoor spaces will play an increasingly important role in providing access to nature. If a balcony exists, it is the most accessible outdoor space in a residential building. According to housing surveys, the balcony has become one of the most important attributes of the apartments. However, many apartments lack a balcony, and if there is one, the quality varies. This thesis aims to investigate and highlight design characteristics of balconies to provide an accessible outdoor space for residents with the possibility of privacy. Furthermore, this thesis will investigate opportunities to transform existing building into dwellings with focus on balconies and how to create generous balconies through design. The purpose is to enhance the quality of apartments in the urban environment by strengthening the relationship between in- and outdoor spaces and to create usable balconies which become a natural part of the apartments meanwhile enrich the exterior. The process has mainly focused on research for and through design. By collecting knowledge from scientific- and built references, essential design characteristics were analysed. Research through design was mainly conducted through 3d model making and sketching. The result from this thesis indicates different qualities of balconies, showcasing the learning outcome in proposals of two sites with substantially different preconditions. The architecture and the urban space can improve by adding balconies and enhancing the qualities of apartments. In conclusion, addition of balconies can be a great solution for providing possibilities for private outdoor spaces whilst strengthening the relation between in- and outdoor space. It is of great importance to understand the site for the transformation to cautious take the existing building into consideration.
- PostGen bridge(2023) Samano, Dorin; Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Chalmers tekniska högskola / Institutionen för arkitektur och samhällsbyggnadsteknik (ACE); Eriksson, Johanna; Clase, Susanne